BRC cautiously welcomes January retail sales uptick

SAHAR NAZIR | January 5, 2019

article image
Retail sales increased by 2.2 per cent in January against an increase of 1.4 per cent in the same month last year, marking the highest growth since June, according to the latest BRC-KPMG Retail Sales Monitor. On a like-for-like basis, retail sales increased by 1.8 per cent from January 2018, when they had increased 0.6 per cent from the preceding year. Over the three months to January, in-store sales of non-food items declined by 2.6 per cent on a total basis and 3.2 per cent on a like-for-like basis. Meanwhile, food sales increased by 1.3 per cent on a like-for-like basis and 2.4 per cent on a total basis, the highest since September. BRC also found that non-food retail sales in the UK decreased by 0.8 per cent on a like-for-like basis and 0.4 per cent on a total basis.This is below the 12-month total average decrease of 0.2 per cent.Online sales of non-food products did well as they grew by 5.4 per cent in January, against a growth of 5.3 per cent in January 2018.

Spotlight

V&C Fashion & Retail Specialists

V&C are Fashion & Retail specialists operating in the shop fitting, digital and fashion sectors across four continents. Our clients are exciting: global brands, international manufacturers, high street retailers and major department stores plus some of the most dynamic start-ups in our industry.

OTHER ARTICLES

Repair Store POS Software Must Have Automated Email Notifications

Article | February 17, 2020

Automated Email Notifications are necessary for any repair store owner buying a POS Software to streamline workflow and keep customers engaged. This is because, the more information you provide to your customers about their device, the more in control and engaged they will feel. And this makes loyal customers. In a repair business, customer satisfaction comes with timely notifications. If you want to keep them coming, earning customer satisfaction is a must. When customers are notified about their decisions (purchase, refund, etc.), they feel satisfied in doing business with you and make up their mind of visiting your place in the future.

Read More

U.S. dairy farmers dump milk as pandemic upends food markets

Article | February 17, 2020

Despite strong demand for basic foods like dairy products amid the coronavirus pandemic, the milk supply chain has seen a host of disruptions that are preventing dairy farmers from getting their products to market. Mass closures of restaurants and schools have forced a sudden shift from those wholesale food-service markets to retail grocery stores, creating logistical and packaging nightmares for plants processing milk, butter and cheese. Trucking companies that haul dairy products are scrambling to get enough drivers as some who fear the virus have stopped working. And sales to major dairy export markets have dried up as the food-service sector largely shuts down globally.

Read More

How AI Can Help Traditional Retailers Compete Against D2C

Article | February 17, 2020

Global annual spending on artificial intelligence (AI) by retailers is expected to surpass $7.3 billion by 2022, according to Juniper Research, and IBM estimates that 79% will implement AI for customer intelligence and 75% for marketing, advertising and campaign management. Traditional retailers are hoping to reap the benefits of employing AI in these areas, but with the growth of direct to consumer (D2C) retailers – 40% of U.S. internet users expect D2C retailers to account for nearly half of their purchases within the next five years – traditional retailers must find efficient ways to catch up.

Read More

How is Point of Sale Software Changing in 2020?

Article | February 17, 2020

All great businesses are blooming on the edifice of POS, which stands for Point of Sale System. Every inch of your business consistency, management, and profits is subjected wholly and solely to the retail POS system. As we all are aware of its importance in a business and how effectively it tends to expand business empires and profits. In other words, a retail POS system is like a Midas touch to your business; it enhances it and enhances it for good, adorning it with golden profits. The idea of POS software is simple. It excludes every chance of human errors and inconsistencies, holds back your company's loss, and increases the productivity of your checkout counter. This is all it does, and all of these tasks are simple, but they are reassuring business tactics that ensure promising gains and remarkable retail growth.

Read More

Spotlight

V&C Fashion & Retail Specialists

V&C are Fashion & Retail specialists operating in the shop fitting, digital and fashion sectors across four continents. Our clients are exciting: global brands, international manufacturers, high street retailers and major department stores plus some of the most dynamic start-ups in our industry.

Events